Disability Tax Credit Information
TAX TIME REMINDER – REAPPLY FOR DTC: If you have been approved for the Disability Tax Credit in previous years, you must re-apply each year by filling out Line 316 (Disability Amt) on your tax return
Since the spring of 2007, my staff and I have helped constituents recover hundreds of thousands of dollars in unclaimed tax credits from the little-known federal Disability Tax Credit.
If you, your spouse or your child fulfill qualifying criteria for one or more of the following nine conditions, you may be eligible to claim the disability tax credit:
- You are unable to walk normally for 100 meters (the length of a football field) without angina, pain, or a cane, wheelchair or walker;
- You have vision loss in excess of 20%;
- You are markedly restricted in communicating;
- You are unable to hear clearly, even with hearing aids;
- You require assistance in feeding;
- You are unable to bathe or fully dress yourself without assistance;
- You have poor bladder or bowel functioning;
- You have problems perceiving instructions, thinking, or remembering (people suffering from dementia or Alzheimers);
- You need life-sustaining therapies such as kidney dialysis or chemotherapy 3 or more times a week.
Please note unused portions of the disability tax credit can be transferred to a spouse with taxable income. Parents are also able to file for the tax credit for qualifying children in their care.
Please note a doctor or other specified health professional must fill out a tax form certifying you have one of these disabilities.
To find more information about the disability tax credit, please contact any of our constituency offices or call our toll free constituency line at 1-888-622-0212.
To see the disability tax credit application form, please click here => Disability Tax Credit Form.pdf